The Wonders of the Holy Name : Chapter 8

Admin

Administrator

THE DOCTRINE OF THE HOLY NAME

We shall now explain the doctrine of the Holy Name – the most important chapter in this booklet – in order to show our readers whence comes the power and divine value of this name and show how the Saints worked their wonders by it and how we ourselves can obtain by its means every grace and blessing.

You may ask, Dear Reader, how it is that one word can work such prodigies?

I answer that with a word God made the world. With His word, He called out of nothing the sun, the moon, the stars, the high mountains and the vast oceans. By His word He sustains the whole universe in existence.

Does not the priest, too, in Holy Mass, work a prodigy of prodigies; does he not transform the little white host into the God of Heaven and earth by the words of Consecration; and though God alone can pardon sins, does not the priest also in the confessional pardon the blackest sins and the most awful crimes?

How?
Because God gives to his words this infinite power.

So, too, God in His immense goodness gives to each of us an all-powerful word with which we can do wonders for Him, for ourselves and for the world. That word is "Jesus."

Remember what St. Paul tells us about it. That it is "a name above all names," and that ...
"In the Name of Jesus, every knee shall bend in Heaven, on earth and in Hell."

But why?

Because "Jesus" signifies "God-made-man," viz., the Incarnation. When the Son of God became man, He was called "Jesus," so that when we say, "Jesus," we offer to the Eternal father the infinite love, the infinite merits of Jesus Christ; in a word, we offer Him His own Divine Son Himself; we offer Him the great Mystery of the Incarnation. Jesus IS the Incarnation!

How few Christians have any adequate idea of this sublime mystery, and yet it is the greatest proof that God has given, or could give us, of His personal love for us. It is everything to us.

THE INCARNATION

God became man for love of us, but what does it avail us if we do not understand this love?

God, the Infinite, Immense, Eternal, all-powerful God, the mighty Creator, the God that fills Heaven with His Majesty, hid all His power, His Majesty, His greatness, and became a little child in order to become like us and so to gain our love.

He entered into the pure womb of the Virgin Mary and there lay hidden for nine whole months. Then He was born in a stable between two animals. He was poor and humble. He passed 33 years working, suffering, praying, teaching His beautiful Religion, working miracles, doing good to all. He did all this to prove His love for each of us and so constrain us to love Him.

This stupendous act of love was so great that not even the highest Angels in Heaven could have conceived it possible, had not God revealed it to them.

It was so great that the Jews, God's chosen people, who were expecting a Saviour, were scandalized at the thought that God could humble Himself so much.

The Gentile philosophers, notwithstanding their vaunted wisdom, said that it was madness to think that the Almighty God could do so much for love of man.

St. Paul says that God exhausted all His power, wisdom and goodness in becoming man for us: "He emptied Himself out."

Our Lord confirms the words of the Apostle, for He says: "What more could I do?"

All this God did, not for all men in general, but for each one of us in particular. Think, think, of this.

Do you believe, do you understand, Dear Reader, that God loves you so much, that He loves you so intimately, so personally. What a joy, what a consolation if you really knew and felt that the great God loves you – you, so sincerely!

Our Lord has done still more, for He has made over to us all His infinite merits so that we can offer them to the Eternal Father as often as we like, a hundred, a thousand times a day.

And that is what we can do each time we say "Jesus," if only we remember what we are saying.

You are perhaps surprised at this wonderful doctrine; you may never have heard it before?

But now at last that you know the infinite wonders of the Name of Jesus, say this Holy Name constantly; say it devoutly.

And in the future, when you say, "Jesus," remember that you are offering to God all the infinite love and merits of His Son. You are offering Him His own Divine Son. You cannot offer Him anything holier, anything better, anything more pleasing to Him, anything more meritorious for yourself.

How ungrateful are those Christians who never thank God for all He has done for them. Men and women live 30, 50, 70 years and never think of thanking God for all His wonderful love.

When you say the Name of Jesus, remember, too, to thank Our Sweet Lord for his Incarnation.

When He was on Earth, He cured ten lepers of their loathsome disease. They were delighted and went away full of joy and happiness, but only one came back to thank Him! Jesus was very hurt and said: "Where are the other nine?"

Has He not much more reason to feel grieved and hurt with you and me, who thank Him so little for all He has done for us in the Incarnation and in His Passion.

St. Gertrude was wont to thank God often, with a little ejaculation, for His goodness in becoming man for her. Our Lord appeared to her one day and said, "My dear Child, every time you honor My Incarnation with that little prayer, I turn to My Eternal Father and I offer all the merits of the Incarnation for you and for all those who do as you do."

Shall we not then try to say often, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus," sure of receiving a like wonderful grace.
THE PASSION

The second meaning of the word "Jesus" is "Jesus dying on the Cross," for St. Paul tells us that Our Lord merited this most Holy Name by His sufferings and death.

Therefore, when we say, "Jesus," we should also wish to offer the Passion and Death of Our Lord to the Eternal Father for His greater glory and for our own intentions.

Just as Our Lord became man for each one of us, as if each one of us were the only one in existence, so He died, not for all men in general, but for each one in particular. When He was hanging on the Cross, He saw me, He saw you, Dear Reader, and offered every pang of His dreadful agony, every drop of His Precious Blood, all of His humiliations, all the insults and outrages He received, for me, for you, for each one of us! He has given us all these infinite merits as our very own. We may offer them hundreds and hundreds of times every day to the Eternal Father – for ourselves and for the world.

We do this every time we say "Jesus." At the same time, let us wish to thank Our Lord for all He has suffered for us.

It is appalling that many Christians know so little of this Holy Name and all that it means. As a result, they are losing precious graces every day, and they are forfeiting the greatest rewards in Heaven. Sad, deplorable ignorance!
HOW TO SHARE IN 500,000 MASSES

The third intention we ought to have when saying "Jesus" is to offer all the Masses that are being said all over the world for the glory of God, for our own needs, and for the world at large. About 500,000 Masses are celebrated daily. And we can and should share in all of these.

The Mass brings Jesus to our altars. At every Mass He is once again present here on earth, as really as when He became man in His Mother's womb. He also sacrifices Himself on the Altar as really and truly as He did on Calvary, though in a mystical, unbloody manner. The Mass is said, not only for all those who assist at church, but for all those who wish to hear it and offer it with the priest.

All we have to do is to say reverently, "Jesus, Jesus," with the intention of offering these Masses and participating in them. By doing this we have a share in all of them.

It is a wonderful grace to assist at and to offer one Mass; what will it not be to offer and share in 500,000 Masses every day!

Therefore, every time we say "Jesus," let it be our intention:

To offer to God all the infinite love and merits of the Incarnation.
To offer to God the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ.
To offer to God all the 500,000 Masses being celebrated in the world – for His glory and our own intentions.
All that we have to do is to say the one word, "Jesus," but knowing what we are doing.

St. Mechtilde was accustomed to offer the Passion of Jesus in union with all the Masses of the world for the souls in Purgatory.

Our Lord once showed her Purgatory open and thousands of souls going up to Heaven as the result of her little prayer.

When we say, "Jesus," we can offer the Passion and the Masses of the world, either for ourselves or for the souls in Purgatory, or for any other intention we please.

We should always, too, offer them for the world at large and our own country in particular.

Last edited:

mirella

Thank you , this is most beautiful and inspiring and yes I was surprised at this wonderful doctrine which, as far as I can remember, had not heard of it before. I'll certainly, with Our Lady's help try to put into practice to always say the Holy name of JESUS onstantly and devoutly.

Last edited by a moderator: