In Memory of a Great Priest

BoPeep

I was only young (and only now realise how lucky we were) when Fr Cummins came to Streaky Bay. Fr used to come to say Mass whether it was in a hall, house or private chapel.

I remember my Grandma’s funeral in the mid 1980’s where the local Bishop gave Fr Cummins permission to say Mass in our local parish church.

4olsquatter

I can enlarge on this. When mother was near death Fr. Cummins asked me to contact our Bishop DeCampo to seek permission for the by then NO church [which her farther had more to do with the building of than anyone by the way ] for the funeral.
Bishop De Campo said he would contact Bishop Stewart of Sandhurst for advice.
The advice came back " You must let those people have the church to bury their mother they are probably the only catholics you have in your diocess"
So when death come Fr. C told us to arrange the funeral for friday.
" I am in Melbourne I will fly to Adelaide catch the overnight bus to streaky Bay 2pm funeral catch bus back to Adelaide in time to fly to NZ for my regular visit"
THe same Priest who told me in his experience he was never far away when he was needed

Admin

Administrator
Thank you Streaky Bay residents for sharing your experiences with this great priest. Setting up Mass Centres across Australia and New Zealand he depended on the charity of invitees for food and accommodation.

upload_2018-4-30_10-55-53.png
upload_2018-5-4_17-32-30.png
upload_2018-5-4_17-31-10.png
upload_2018-5-4_17-21-33.png

upload_2018-5-4_17-48-8.png

Continued Page 2.....

Attachments

Last edited:

mirella

Loved the article on Fr Cummings and do have a copy of his great letter to the Bishop, was tidying up
some of my old papers and came across some copies of The Herald with a story of Fr Patrick Fox, a
Vicentian Priest originally from Melbourne and I thought you might like to post the article on Cor Marie.
A lot of us oldies from Rockdale used to go to his Masses at East Lindfield, we miss him and his straight
talking, he always blessed the Hall before Mass, as the hall was used for different functions eg child care
meetings and parties during the week.
His Superior in the Vicentian Fathers once made him go to see a psychiatrist in Melbourne because of
his keeping to Tradition but when he went to Melbourne to the Psychiatrists Rooms, he was told that the
Doctor had broken his leg and couldn't see him. Our Blessed Mother sure fixed that appointment.
Like Fr Cummings, he was also a traveller, I once picked him up to take him for a house to be Blessed, we drove
a 200k trip on a very hot summer day, he never complained. May our Good Archbishop and
good Fr Cummings and good Fr Fox intercede for us so that more Priests will follow their footsteps.
Have today posted to you the paper, no need to return as I have a few copies.

BoPeep

Just today, one of the kids was humming to the tune of the hymn “Hail Queen of Heaven”. I told her it reminded me of Fr Cummins. In fact, each time I hear this hymn, Fr Cummins is who springs to mind!

As a kid myself, I remember this is the one hymn Fr had the Streaky Bay congregation sing after every Low Mass we attended. I’m guessing in his early days he “experimented” with other hymns, but quickly worked out we could all rally together with this particular one to at least make it sound half decent. :)

Oh they were the days! If only I appreciated his courage, strength, hard work and simplicity back then.

Last edited:

4olsquatter

another little anecdote re Fr. cummins
One night in the middle of winter after Mass in Streaky Bay @8 PM my friend Jim Cronin told Fr. his mother was dying in hospital in a town near Pt. Lincoln some 2 and a half away {town of Cummins by the way}
Fr. said what are we doing here then Jim .
So on a cold wintery night they drove to Cummins anointed Jim's Mum drove back to Streaky Bay to be back for 8 am mass next morning.
I will never forget that .

4olsquatter

Just today, one of the kids were humming to the tune of the hymn “Hail Queen of Heaven”. I told her it reminded me of Fr Cummins. In fact, each time I hear this hymn, Fr Cummins is who springs to mind!

As a kid myself, I remember this is the one hymn Fr had the Streaky Bay congregation sing after every Low Mass we attended. I’m guessing in his early days he “experimented” with other hymns, but quickly worked out we could all rally together with this particular one to at least make it sound half decent. :)

Oh they were the days! If only I appreciated his courage, strength, hard work and simplicity back then.

4olsquatter

YES FR. CUMMINS PROVIDED US WITH A HYMN BOOK BUT THE ONLY ONE HE TRUSTED US WITH WAS ' HAIL QUEEN OF HEAVEN . SO ONE SHEET WITH ' HAIL QUEEN OF HEAVEN' WAS ALL THAT WAS NEEDED.000000000000000000

Anand

Is this the priest who spent his last days with a Traditionalist order that subsequently defected to the Novus Ordo Church?

Admin

Administrator
Father Cummins left Perth (Australia) for good in October 2003 together with Bro Alban, in order to conclude his life with the traditional Transalpine Redemptorist community in Scotland. (Pge. 37 of his Memoirs)

Transalpine Redemptorists

BoPeep

YES FR. CUMMINS PROVIDED US WITH A HYMN BOOK BUT THE ONLY ONE HE TRUSTED US WITH WAS ' HAIL QUEEN OF HEAVEN . SO ONE SHEET WITH ' HAIL QUEEN OF HEAVEN' WAS ALL THAT WAS NEEDED.000000000000000000
Oh yes, the sheet! The photocopied sheet! That was all we needed. I’d forgotten about that.

Michael1

I met Fr. Fox by accident just after my conversion to the Catholic faith in 1980. I was collecting a NO priest at the Sydney airport and when I saw another priest leaving & I offered him a lift. It was Fr. Fox. He gave me some reading material and the rest is history. He never said a NO mass.

4olsquatter

how lucky were you Michael to meet FR. Fox in such circumstances. ?
He was one of the great priest in those trying times .
Fr. Cummins fully appreciated any assistance from any priest who kept tradition .
There was a Fr. Noone in Adelaide also that lightened the load on FR. Cummins

4olsquatter

FR. Cummins was never known to ask anyone for money
Br. Alban once told me this. he went on to say that Fr. C was never restricted
in his activities for want of money.
Great Aunt Eileen in law was not short of a few $,s after her husband won
$40,000 pounds in 1957.
SHE noticed Fr,s shoes were worn through to his socks when he was kneeling
for the leonine prayers after Mass.
She told FR.to use her account@ a major store to buy a new pair. Which he did .
Her comment to me later was" he knows good shoes when he sees them"
Good on him !

Admin

Administrator
I have been told by one of our members, that the top photo above was taken in his back yard in Perth. He said that the only time Fr. Cummins borrowed money was to build or renovate a church (Hampton?). Then he paid back ever cent.

Last edited: