He gave him a strong conflict...

S

stabl

The Lord conducted the just, through the right ways, and showed him the kingdom of God, and gave him the knowledge of the holy things, made him honourable in his labours, and accomplished his labours. In the deceit of them that overreached him, He stood by him, and made him honourable. He kept him safe from his enemies, and He defended him from seducers, and gave him a strong conflict, that he might overcome, and know that wisdom is mightier than all. He forsook not the just when he was sold, but delivered him from sinners: He went down with him into the pit. And in bands He left him not, till He brought him the sceptre of the kingdom, and power against those that oppressed him: and showed them to be liars that had accused him, and the Lord our God gave him everlasting glory. (Epistle of today's Mass taken from: Wisdom x.10-14)

Today, this emboldened passage stood out. What it said was hard to accept. I couldn't shy away from it no matter how much I wanted to - for it spells out very clearly what God expects of me - and all of us, I guess. That God deliberately gives strong conflicts, so that the afflicted one is forced into seeking God's wisdom to overcome the conflict. In other words, the one afflicted is unable to overcome the obstacle unless God enlightens him with something he hasn't got. The conflict irritates into being the resolution - like a piece of grit irritates the oyster into forming a pearl.

And then there is the prayer before receiving Communion:
[COLOR=##1979e6] I will call upon the name of the Lord. Praising, I will call upon the Lord, and I shall be saved from my enemies.
[/COLOR]