Fun with the Catechism

• Thread starter Deleted member 149
  • Start date

Admin

Administrator
deus vult said:
This question has gotten the wheels turning quite freely now and I feel like I'm on a roll toward understanding something I've always taken for granted. We first receive sanctifying grace at baptism and without it, the life of God in us, we cannot enter heaven.
Thinking about it, actual grace we need on a daily and constant basis. So, I have a question to ask. How do we get actual grace?
I understand that we do not actually 'get' it but 'receive' it as and when God wills. God 'gives' it to us is how I perceive it. For a soul in the state of grace, that is, when one is a Catholic, practicing the faith, receiving the Sacraments then God offers it to the soul that keeps watch over his/her own soul, that is, continually aware of its sinfulness and exercising the gift of true contrition, making reparation by acts of self-denial. If we do not keep watch, say if we're satisfied with a minimalist effort on our part, we miss countless actual graces and fail to progress in holiness. Also, our hearts are very hard to start with and we may not be open to receiving his actual grace even though in a state of sanctifying grace. However, such a soul will inevitably slip back into tepidity. If we do not go forward we go backwards. Hence generous souls have done penance for us like the great contemplative saints/martyrs. We have to pick up where they have left off and go forward. All too often, however, we take the credit for ourselves and lose actual graces.

For someone outside the church, who is not in a state of sanctifying grace, I believe actual grace is offered to that soul in response to the prayers of those inside the Church for the salvation of souls that God still awaits - for example the Jews. The Jews will convert because of the prayers emanating from within the Church. We, ordinary Catholics know that our own souls are graced due to the merits of the saints who continued Christ's suffering on earth (contemplatives and martyrs who reign with God in heaven). It is our obligation to pray for souls outside the Church especially since the redemption of our own souls is due to the prayers and sacrifices of others. We have the mission to pray for the Jews who will be converted; for relatives, heretics, great sinners, the dying; the conversion of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary etc. The reason for this is because Catholics belong to the mystical Body of Christ where we, ourselves, receive countless graces by way of the merits of the saints that we cannot and have not merited for ourselves. Our suffrages for The Holy Souls in Purgatory can speed their deliverance from Purgatory. Their prayers for us are very powerful according to St. Theresa of Avila.

Thus the Church is missionary. Each one of us is a missionary. It is our duty.

The above is simply my own understanding and anything not in conformity with Catholic teaching is open to correction.

Admin

Administrator
If the 'Hail Holy Queen' prayer means anything at all it is to 'make us worthy to receive the promises of Christ'. Asking God to pour forth His graces...which he does, a soul that is hardened, or tepid, rejects them. Fear of what God may require of us is an obstacle too. Merely knowing that it is an obstacle is sufficient for Our Lady to do something about delivering the soul from that ungodly state of fear. One only has to know this kind of fear is an obstacle. To 'know' this in her presence is the opening of the soul to receive the supernatural grace necessary. It cannot be banished by natural means. If the soul is not made worthy of the promises of Christ, then it cannot grow in the faith. Mary has been likened to a Chalice perpetually full of grace. And as her children, we can say that we inherit from her, and only from her, the ability to remain open to the reception of graces poured out by her Son into a heart so prepared by His Mother.

Deus Vult

In this day and age when prayer is so little thought of and put to practice, to pray often is considered fine for those pious ones who need such things. Many think it's not very helpful and of slight importance.
So often we hear, "well, there's nothing I can do, I can only pray." as if it is of little use. In actuality it is a 'holy and wholesome thought to do' to obtain grace for our own and others salvation.

from MY CATHOLIC FAITH :
The principal ways of obtaining grace are prayer and the sacraments.
Actual grace is transient; that is, it is given to us only when we need it, to perform a good act, or to overcome a temptation.
Recall at Pentecost is was after nine days of praying that the miracle event happened.
An example of the wonderful action of the Holy Ghost in enlightening the mind and strengthening the will is the First Pentecost. Before the descent of the Holy Ghost, the Apostles were ignorant and afraid; after His descent, His grace made them wise and fearless men, going forth to preach Christ everywhere, ready to die for their faith.

Actual grace is obtained by good works. It is especially obtained by the use of means offered by the Church, such as hearing Mass, sermons, etc., and receiving the sacraments,

Actual grace is made to act through various means: through sermons, reading of good books, illness and death, advice of superiors and friends, good example, etc.
The first converts at Pentecost were moved by the preaching of the Apostles. St. Ignatius of Loyola was moved by the reading of the lives of the saints; St. Francis of Assisi, during an illness; St. Francis Borgia, upon seeing the corpse of Queen Isabella, Often God sends us suffering as a means by which the Holy Ghost may speak to us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Catholic Church is a bottomless, treasury of graces waiting for us to tap into by various means, one of which is through prayers. Let us beseech the Angels and especially the Saints on this day, who have fought the good fight and whose perfect prayers are a great aid to our own.

ambrose

Machabees, why did Christ tell those who He healed not to tell anyone, yet knew full well that they would!
Were the healed "sinning" by telling everyone the miracle of Christ when He told them NOT to?

thoughts?

D

Deleted member 149

ambrose said:
Machabees, why did Christ tell those who He healed not to tell anyone, yet knew full well that they would!
Were the healed "sinning" by telling everyone the miracle of Christ when He told them NOT to?

thoughts?
In researching this, here is the better answer I found.

"Why didn't Jesus want people to tell others of the miracles He performed?

"A miracle is a direct act of God in a human situation. In the Bible, miracles were usually performed through or announced by a person. The purpose of miracles was to identify such people as servants and prophets of God. Ideally, people would understand that if God chose to work through an individual, He would also choose to speak through that individual. Although God did occasionally use miracles to help someone personally, they were usually used as an introduction to a message.

"Jesus' miracles follow this pattern. Acts 2:22 says, "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst…" God attested or witnessed to Jesus through the miracles that Jesus performed. The point of the miracles wasn't the miracles; it was to direct people to listen to what Jesus had to say.

"In the course of His ministry, however, Jesus did use miracles simply because He had compassion on people (Matthew 14:14). But physical healing is always a temporary matter. Knowing the truth of the gospel has eternal consequences. The teaching was always the point (Mark 6:34).

"Unfortunately, sometimes the miracles got in the way of the teaching. Such was the case when He healed the leper who told so many people Jesus couldn't even teach in town anymore (Mark 1:40-45).

"This was not a universal situation. Often, Jesus did tell the healed to spread the word (Mark 5:19-20). It depended on the situation. If the broadcast of the miracle would draw people in to hear His teaching, all to the good. If the broadcast of the miracle merely brought others who wanted a miracle without the life-changing salvation of God, it was useless (Mark 8:36).

"Humans are shallow creatures who often choose the immediate good over the eternal great. While a few individuals called on Jesus specifically to hear His teaching (John 3:1-2), mobs came to Him seeking healing (Mark 6:54-56). Some stayed to hear His teaching (Mark 6:34). But the vast majority who heard of Jesus' miracles betrayed Him in the end because He didn't perform the one miracle they wanted—independence from Roman rule (Luke 23:18-25)."
Source.

As far as the question "Were the healed 'sinning' by telling everyone the miracle of Christ when He told them NOT to?" I do not know that answer specifically; however, it is reasonable to believe the answer would be no.

In reason that as Christ is God who made the miracle, which is a good in itself and carries a good in extension for others, and He knows the intimate thoughts of all souls, past present and future, he knew the disposition of that soul when he made that particular act and the situation that is carried with it (described above) of such benefits to the education of many or to the education of only that soul. It is reasonable that if Christ had given such a great gift, he would not at the same time have the good rejected out of the soul by giving a deliberate order knowing that it would not be carried out and cause that soul to commit a sin in wake of it. So I would believe that when Christ said to such a soul not to tell others, he would have said it as a request, not as an order. There is no sin when there is a request made.

In an example. As a parent of his children knows the disposition of a particular child, the parent does not want the child to sin, so the good in the parent does not place obstacles in the way of the child; rather helps them achieve a greater understanding and virtue of self discipline in measure and course. So I would believe that Christ was asking such an individual to grow in self discipline and virtue rather than an order of silence to hide the good the soul received.

If the soul responded by not following the request, in would be imperfect not to, and lacking growth. But if the soul did respond in following the request not to tell others, the soul would merit a higher grace within their soul and a virtue greater than the miracle given of just restoring the flesh which will eventually decay at some time again; while the grace of being silent would merit and foster in that soul a gift for eternal life.

Thus this could be looked at another way. Christ really offered two miracles to that particular individual: One miracle of the flesh and one for the soul. The one for the flesh which was the obvious public manifestation all could see; restoring the blind or the lame to walk. The other miracle Christ was offering for that particular soul after the first miracle was more delicate and quiet for him personally which required an active participation from that individual to make an act of faith, which Christ knew he could do by such a request, to believe in him as God and know that it was best to listen to him further, as he already healed him from the infirmity of flesh, to receive more and mortify in the soul a virtue and a joy of self discipline to carry Christ in his mind of a contemplative and a meditative growth cultivating a garden of other virtues for eternal life.

This is the same that we are asked to do in our life after receiving the miracle of baptism unique and particular to our own soul. Having Christ walk past us invites us to bear fruit or go baron as the shriveled fig tree without fruit. Having the gift of the faith carries a joyful burden to make that faith public for the education of others when asked by Christ and at times to be silent to grow in meditative virtue. Both are beautiful; both require discernment. Listening to Him to know which to do at what time places us attentive in humility and docility to know how to serve Him who Is.

ambrose

Thanks Machabees..always thought that an interesting question and you've given an answer that is very thorough.
I suppose if I was healed of such a calamity it would be almost impossible for me not to tell people who healed me. Especially as they would always be asking. Then again, if the man who healed
me asked me to tell noone, I think I could not betray his request for fear of the calamity returning!

Thanks again...very interesting

Admin

Administrator
Could it also be like when Mary pointed out to Jesus that , at the wedding of Cana, that "they have no wine!" She made a statement, and even though Christ said, "My time has not yet come" she seemed to ignore him ordering the servants to "Do what He says". It is said that by hastening the time, Our Lady, by her request, began the public journey of Our Lord to His Crucifixion. I bring up this comparison because it shows how Our Lord responded to the immediate needs of the persons involved. First, of course, there was Mary, then others who when they pleaded for immediate help he was unable to refuse no matter at what cost to himself.

ambrose

That's really good. Almost the opposite thought to a sermon I heard by Fr Pfieffer I heard today. Where Christ delayed to see Lazarus for a reason, He didn't delay in other circumstances.
Gospel is so full of depth - Go figure. :)

Admin

Administrator
When God created man he must have been created with pride because man sinned against it (?)
I guess there is a good pride and a bad pride.

D

Deleted member 149

As far as a “good” pride. It is conceived in the human kingdom given the blessing to dominate and multiply the earth (Genesis) that there is an order of achievement and tasking merited by such effort to claim a “good” pride in fulfilling God’s mandate. However, all good comes from God (James 1). So what is “achieved” is from God; not man. There can only be a "good" pride belonging to God and an accidental pride through a "good" will of man. So there cannot be in a strict sense a “good” pride from man when it was God who provided ALL of the circumstances and (actual or sanctifying) grace for that achievement. Job in the Old Testament showed us this well from a prosperity to claim to himself this “good” pride and its temptation when God upbraided the false notion that the “good” came from man (Job, chap. 37-38).

Q. Is pride something God created?

A. No. Pride is not a created thing. The fall of the angels and the Garden of Paradise shows us this. Pride is a void of the existence of truth, its attributes and its virtues. Like darkness is the void or absence of light; as evil is the void or absence of good.

(Ecclesiasticus 10:22)
Pride was not made for men: nor wrath for the race of women.

(1 John 2:16)
For all that is in the world, is the concupiscence of the flesh, and the concupiscence of the eyes, and the pride of life, which is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The Saints showed us that for Catholics to reflect on pride as a prize or to harbor or savor its false security is actually empty and contains nothing. It is a trick of the devil like he tricked Adam and Eve thinking it contains health and light.

The sin of pride has no existence in God. We know that; but why pursue it? Why even defend or protect it with excuse in one’s soul through its effect of human respect? As virtue has its indirect effects to gain grace; its opposite pride has its effects too to wipe out God from a soul. Pride is the cause of all of the other 6-vices and indirect effects.

The reason pride is slow or not wanting to be released in a soul is because human respect is the shield the centurion protecting it.

Pride is always opposite to the truth. So opposite to one’s belief of receiving esteem, souls lose grace and lose God who dwell therein.

(Matthew 6:2)
“…sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do… that they may be honoured by men. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.” (Matthew 6)

(Job 11:12)
A vain man is lifted up into pride, and thinketh himself born free like a wild ass's colt.

(Psalms 72:6)
Therefore pride hath held them fast: they are covered with their iniquity and their wickedness.

Leaders always have the temptation of human respect more so being in view of the public. When grace is the operation and mover for the honor of God in ALL things we do, humility and nothingness of the dirt as we are is always remembered, as the saints act, knowing we are only instruments to do God's will. So attention must always be directed to God while we decrease so not to be a "sanctuary stealer" taking away from God what belongs to him.

We were born in nothing, have nothing, can do nothing, and will die with nothing; except in hope with the grace of God in our souls we persevered to love him before ALL things created.

So pride in not a created thing. It is a thing of the demon. Pride is the void of truth and its attributes. Christ is all light and life; grace and truth is the operation; pride and darkness are there only to fill the void when one doesn’t want the grace to see.

(Psalms 100:7)
He that worketh pride shall not dwell in the midst of my house: he that speaketh unjust things did not prosper before my eyes.

(Proverbs 16:18)
Pride goeth before destruction: and the spirit is lifted up before a fall.

(Ecclesiasticus 10:14)
The beginning of the pride of man, is to fall off from God:

(Numbers 15:30)
But the soul that committeth any thing through pride, whether he be born in the land or a stranger (because he hath been rebellious against the Lord) shall be cut off from among his people:

(Leviticus 26:19)
And I will break the pride of your stubbornness, and I will make to you the heaven above as iron, and the earth as brass:

(Tobias 4:14)
Never suffer pride to reign in thy mind, or in thy words: for from it all perdition took its beginning.

So no matter what we face in life, grace is stronger than its void -pride.

(Proverbs 11:2)
Where pride is, there also shall be reproach: but where humility is, there also is wisdom.

God will only be honored by our created nothingness not to be sullied by pride but cleansed in his grace. That is the Catholic faith needing to be held firm in the 'lamp stand' of all baptized souls by a docility and humility that moves mountains of conflicts and every other insignificant order outside of God.

To restore all things in Christ takes on the meaning to restore one’s soul first before the proverbial smote in society.

Last edited by a moderator:

Admin

Administrator
A. No. Pride is not a created thing. The fall of the angels and the Garden of Paradise shows us this. Pride is a void of the existence of truth, its attributes and its virtues. Like darkness is the void or absence of light; as evil is the void or absence of good.
ETA : What I meant by a good pride and bad pride is it is shameful to deny Christ - like St. Peter. And blessed is he whosoever shall not be scandalized in me. (Luke 7 :23)

Last edited:

ambrose

..again...re pride. re. catechism.

Mac, can a man ever glorify himself?

I'll be more specific.

Can a Catholic, who knows God has worked within him, who has loyally received Christ's flesh and blood and in the state of grace, glorify himself, for being an instrument of grace, because God has revealed to him, on this earth, that his work is good and true?

Can he glorify himself then? Like Christ, as a MAN, glorified Himself? For knowing, as a man, he has pleased God?

How can a man KNOW he has pleased God when the devil intercepts every time?

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Can he glorify himself then? Like Christ, as a MAN, glorified Himself? For knowing, as a man, he has pleased God?
contradicts

Man will always be tempted by the devil for as long as he lives. Even the just man sins seven times a day and when he does he is not pleasing to God. The closer one gets to God the more he discovers what a sinner he is...so how can any man be pleasing to God while on this earth? The only human being created by God that was all-pleasing to HIM is his Mother Mary and she humbled herself every second of her life as the lowest of all creatures. To glory oneself is an abomination before God but I do not believe that is what you mean.

Can a Catholic, who knows God has worked within him, who has loyally received Christ's flesh and blood and in the state of grace, glorify himself, for being an instrument of grace, because God has revealed to him, on this earth, that his work is good and true?

Definitely not! A private revelation puffing up a man's pride is not from God.

14For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15For that which I work, I understand not. For I do not that good which I will; but the evil which I hate, that I do. 16If then I do that which I will not, I consent to the law, that it is good. 17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18For I know that there dwelleth not in me, that is to say, in my flesh, that which is good. For to will, is present with me; but to accomplish that which is good, I find not.19For the good which I will, I do not; but the evil which I will not, that I do. 20Now if I do that which I will not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21I find then a law, that when I have a will to do good, evil is present with me. 22For I am delighted with the law of God, according to the inward man: 23But I see another law in my members, fighting against the law of my mind, and captivating me in the law of sin, that is in my members. 24Unhappy man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25The grace of God, by Jesus Christ our Lord. Therefore, I myself, with the mind serve the law of God; but with the flesh, the law of sin. (Romans 7 : 14-21)

ETA:
I was wondering if a different interpretation was meant when this question was asked (?)
It could mean that a Catholic man perseveres in trying to convince a disbeliever to believe some facet of the faith, and then the grace is given to the disbeliever to understand the point of faith being made - if such is the case then is it OK for the Catholic man to feel happy with his success?

If that is the meaning of the question it still means that the glory is due only to God, not to himself for imparting the grace to the disbeliever through the Catholic's efforts. He is merely the instrument. In all innocence an unsuspecting soul may not realise that he is glorifying himself. That is where we are all vulnerable because it is too easy to feel proud of ourselves when through our efforts (and prayers even) some measure of success has been achieved. In fact I venture to say that the above quote from St. Paul explains why so many saints had to keep punishing themselves over and over again because pride surfaced against their will. Our Lord had to keep the 'thorn' in Paul's side to keep him weak, dependent and humble because pride so readily and easily slips into the heart of any man.

A good priest once told me that when self-glorifying pride wells up we can use it to show God how much more, each time, we need His mercy to deliver us from this state into which we were conceived; that it is an opportunity to ask God for the grace to advance a bit more in the virtue of humility.

I think this is a really good question and thank you Ambrose for asking it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 149

..again...re pride. re. catechism.

Mac, can a man ever glorify himself?

I'll be more specific.

Though I shudder only being addressed to me, I believe there are two questions:

First-

Q. Can a man ever glorify himself through Christ in sanctifying grace?

It is said:
“Jesus answered them: Is it not written in your law: I said you are gods?” (John 10:34)​

Jesus said again:
“That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me.” (John 17)​

It is true our Lord is generous with His life and his glory to share with us sinners, though sanctified in heaven, to be one with him and His Father; a glory of a God unbecoming to us creatures.

But too the Most Holy Trinity said from the beginning:

“Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth.” (Genesis 1:26)​

The Blessed Trinity also said:

Genesis 1:22
“And he blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the waters of the sea: and let the birds be multiplied upon the earth.”

So it is written:

Genesis 5:3
“And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and begot a son to his own image and likeness, and called his name Seth.”

After Adam, Seth continued the line of the Just Jesus Christ was born through genealogy.

St. Thomas Aquinas speaks of this “image and likeness” being to us “sanctifying grace and spirit (a soul)”

Our Lord revealed this oneness and eternal life is contingent on being baptized:

Matthew 28:19
“Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.”

Ephesians 4:5
“One Lord, one faith, one baptism.”

So our Lord shows he gave us glory being one with the Father we already share in baptism through sanctifying grace.

John 14:23
“Jesus answered, and said to him: If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and will make our abode with him.”

Solomon was even described in Scripture at one time full of wisdom and glory. The greatest even no other Kings will share in likeness. All the kingdoms came to hear him. This was a gift to him by God:

(2 Paralipomenon (2 Chronicles) 1
“And God said to Solomon: Because this choice hath pleased thy heart, and thou hast not asked riches, and wealth, and glory, nor the lives of them that hate thee, nor many days of life: but hast asked wisdom and knowledge, to be able to judge my people, over which I have made thee king, Wisdom and knowledge are granted to thee: and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and glory, so that none of the kings before thee, nor after thee, shall be like thee.”

But we know this glory of Solomon was only transitory. We’re told:

“Let no man therefore glory in men.” (1 Corinthians 3:21)​

However, the question is one of giving glory to self by the recognition of God’s goodness and grace within him. St. Paul reflected on this:

2 Corinthians 1:12
“For our glory is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity of heart and sincerity of God, and not in carnal wisdom, but in the grace of God, we have conversed in this world: and more abundantly towards you.”​

St. Paul extended his instruction:

2 Corinthians 10:17
“But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”

Knowing that all glory is from God even if He wishes to share, St. Paul knew the vain pride that would come to unbridled thoughts led astray so easily. He grounded the reality by recognizing our own nature.

2 Corinthians 11:30
“If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things that concern my infirmity.”

1 Corinthians 9:16
“For if I preach the gospel, it is no glory to me, for a necessity lieth upon me: for woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel.”

1 Corinthians 1:29
“That no flesh should glory in his sight.”

1 Corinthians 10:31
“Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatsoever else you do, do all to the glory of God.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

Second-

Q. How can a man KNOW he has pleased God when the devil intercepts every time?

They devil is only a creature allowed by God to tempt us for our sanctification; there is no other purpose for the devil but to remain in hell due to his action. The devil has no power unless God gives it to him and one give permission for the devil entry into their soul by sin.

Man cannot know if he pleases God in the absolute sense because of our fallible nature and mix of good intention with sin. However, Holy Scripture gives us a counsel with a blessing and discernment to work out our salvation with fear and trembling being the beginning of Wisdom:

Philippians 2
“That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth. And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father. Wherefore, my dearly beloved, with fear and trembling work out your salvation. For it is God who worketh in you, both to will and to accomplish, according to his good will. And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world.”

With further insight:

Ecclesiastes 2:26
“God hath given to a man that is good in his sight, wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he hath given vexation, and superfluous care.”

St. Paul breaks this down in a very practical way:

Galatians 5
“I say then, walk in the spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the spirit: and the spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary one to another: so that you do not the things that you would. But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,

“Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law. And they that are Christ' s, have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”

Thus one “knows” by their fruits and certainly after a good confession.

Last edited by a moderator:

ambrose

Ok excellent...thanks for your time on this.
It was a hard question to make clear with the written word.

The mere idea of glorifying oneself, by default is abhorrent to a Catholic. It's so drilled in that it is irritating hearing Catholics constantly apologizing after releasing the slightest self praise. Even if the "self praise" happens to be true and a mere statement of fact. Is it healthy to never pat yourself on the back for fear of pride? Pride is to be feared for sure, and all glory to God. That's simple enough, but if you overthink it too much you may cause unnecessary stress.

Hope I'm making the slightest sense. :)

The scripture passages are helpful....thanks Mac.

Admin

Administrator
Is it healthy to never pat yourself on the back for fear of pride? Pride is to be feared for sure, and all glory to God. That's simple enough, but if you overthink it too much you may cause unnecessary stress.
Putting in my six-penneth again Ambrose. My own thoughts on this question are that one doesn't have to think or overthink about committing the sin of pride. Pride, in itself is a condition of the soul from which we all suffer - it keeps reminding us of its existence. It is natural for us to be pleased with ourselves when we have had a measure of success in the natural order - but the natural order which God created good, is affected by original sin also (see below Catechism).

As I have been told by the good priest already mentioned...when a soul is tempted to take the credit for something that God did through him it creates the opportunity to be humble - not distressed - because it clearly sees and appreciates how dependent on God it is; how far removed from Him it is. It inclines us to depend on God more than we did before and so we come closer to Him producing a unique kind of joy.

A principle factor is that the tempter tries to prevent us from seeing that we can turn around our tendency to self-praise to actually praise God. God never leaves us orphans. He USES the accuser-tempter to help us see our sinfulness and flee to Him straight as a dart.

upload_2017-2-14_11-38-38.png

Baltimore Catechism Lesson 5

Last edited: