FIRST FRIDAY DEVOTION

Admin

Administrator
TODAY IS THE FIRST FRIDAY OF THE MONTH
(And tomorrow, First Saturday)

Let us not forget the very important devotion to The Sacred Heart of Jesus, revealed to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque- the Nine First Fridays Devotion. Of course this is proving to be difficult these days when our Resistance priests are not always available on first Fridays. Nevertheless, we should still meditate on the messages of Our Lord to St. Margaret.

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque asked Jesus why He chose her when she was only a lowly servant and Jesus replied that if there were anyone else in the world more lowly, He would have chosen that person.

He said to St. Margaret: “I have chosen you as an abyss of unworthiness and ignorance to accomplish so great a design so that all may be done by Me.”

It is through this same humility in The Blessed Virgin by which God shows His power, through Her humility He is glorified. With this in mind, it is not difficult to understand why Our Lord and Our Lady often choose to appear to peasants, usually uneducated and stricken with poverty- St. Bernadette Soubirous, the three children at Fatima, Melanie Calvat, etc.

In the end, God will not judge us by how well we could define doctrine and dogma, but by how well we lived our lives, how well we practiced the Catholic faith. "Charity", "the virtues", "obedience to His Holy Will", "faith and works", these things come to mind.

"What good does it do to speak learnedly about The Trinity if, lacking humility, you displease The Trinity? Indeed, it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities, and all is vanity, except to love God and serve Him alone.”*

What good does it do to speak learnedly about doctrine and dogma if, lacking in charity, puffed up with arrogance and pride, sowing discord and hatred, calumniating others and causing factions, we displease The Trinity?

On this First Friday (and tomorrow, First Saturday), let us ask ourselves: IS MY HEART MEEK AND HUMBLE LIKE THE HEARTS OF JESUS AND MARY?

*Thomas Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE TWELVE PROMISES OF OUR LORD JESUS TO THOSE WHO PRACTICE THE NINE FIRST FRIDAYS DEVOTION:

1. I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.

2. I will establish peace in their homes.

3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.

4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.

5. I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.

6. Sinners will find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.

7. Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.

8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.

9. I will bless every place in which an image of My Heart is exposed

and honoured.

10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.

11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names

written in My Heart.

12. I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion

on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of

final perseverance; they shall not die in My disgrace, nor without

receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.