Come Holy Ghost...

Admin

Administrator
Come Holy Ghost, Creator come, From Thy bright heavenly throne! Come take possession of our souls, And make them all Thine own!

Thou who art called the Paraclete,
Best Gift of God above, The Living Spring, the Living Fire, Sweet Unction, and True Love!

Thou who art seven-fold in Thy grace
, Finger of God's right Hand, His promise, teaching little ones, To speak and understand!

O guide our minds with Thy blest light
, With love our hearts inflame, And with Thy strength which ne'er decays, Confirm our mortal frame.

Far from us drive our hellish foe,
True peace unto us bring, And through all perils guide us safe, Beneath Thy sacred wing.

Through Thee may we the Father know
, Through Thee the Eternal Son, And Thee the Spirit of them Both, Thrice-blessed Three in One.

All glory to the Father be, And to the risen Son; The same to Thee, O Paraclete, While endless ages run. Amen.

S

stabl

Act of Consecration to the Holy Spirit

On my knees before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses,
I offer myself soul and body to Thee, Eternal Spirit of God.
I adore the brightness of Thy purity, the unerring keenness of Thy justice,
and the might of Thy love. Thou art the Strength and Light of my soul.

In Thee I live and move and am.
I desire never to grieve Thee by unfaithfulness to grace,
and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the smallest sin against Thee.
Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always watch for Thy light
and listen to Thy voice, and follow Thy gracious inspirations.
I cling to Thee and give myself to Thee and ask Thee by Thy compassion to watch over me in my weakness.

Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus and looking at His Five Wounds and trusting in His Precious Blood and adoring His opened Side and stricken Heart, I implore Thee Adorable Spirit, helper of my infirmity, so to keep me in Thy grace that I may never sin against Thee.

Give me grace O Holy Ghost, Spirit of the Father and the Son, to say to Thee always and everywhere,

[COLOR=##e66319]"Speak Lord, for Thy servant heareth."[/COLOR]

G

gail

<p align="justify">
THE PRINCIPLE MEANS OF OBTAINING THE DIRECTION OF THE HOLY GHOST

** Can be used in regards to when to leave our chapels etc.

[COLOR=##579dec] [/COLOR]
The principle means of obtaining the direction of the Holy Ghost are:

1.) To obey faithfully God's will so far as we know it; much of it is hidden from us, for we are full of ignorance; but God will demand an account at our hands only of the knowledge He has given us; let us make good use of it, and He will give us more. . .

2.) To renew often the good resolution of following in all things the will of God, and strengthen ourselves in this determination as much as possible.

3.) To ask continually of the Holy Ghost this light and this strength to do the will of God, to bind ourselves to Him, and remain His prisoners like Saint Paul, who said to the priests of Ephesus, "Being bound in the Spirit, I go to Jerusalem" (Acts 20:22); above all, in every important change of circumstances, to pray God to grant us the illumination of the Holy Ghost, and sincerely protest that we desire nothing else, but only to do His will. After which if He impart to us no fresh light, we may act as heretofore we have been accustomed to act, and as shall appear best for the time being. . . .

4.) Let us watch with care the different movements of our soul. By such attention we shall come gradually to perceive what is of God and what is not. That which proceeds from God in a soul which is subjected to grace, is generally peaceable and calm. That which comes from the devil is violent, and brings with it trouble and anxiety.

...As to those who complain that they are unable to obtain this direction or, even if they should receive it, they could not recognize it, the same author continues:

"To them we reply, first, that the lights and inspirations of the Holy Ghost which are necessary in order to do good and avoid evil, are never wanting to them, particularly if they are in a state of grace. Secondly, that being altogether exterior as they are, and scarcely ever entering into themselves, examining their consciences only very superficially, and looking only to the outward man, and the faults which are manifest in the eyes of the world, without seeking to discover their secret roots and to become acquainted with their own disposition of their soul and the movements of their heart, it is no wonder that they have nothing of the guidance of the Holy Ghost, which is wholly interior. How should they know anything of it? They do not even know their interior sins, which are their personal acts produced by their own free will. But they will infallibly acquire the knowledge if only they bring the necessary dispositions.

First, let them be faithful in following the light which is given them; it will go on always increasing.

Secondly, let them clear away the sins and imperfections which, like so many clouds, hide the light from their eyes; they will see more distinctly every day.

Thirdly, let them not suffer their exterior senses to rove at will, and be soiled by indulgence; God will then open to them their interior senses.

Fourthly, let them never quit their own interior, if it be possible, or let them return as soon as may be, let them give attention to what passes therein, and they will observe the working of the different spirits by which we are actuated.

Fifthly, let them lay bare the whole ground of their heart sincerely to their superior or to their spiritual Father. A soul which acts with this openness and simplicity can hardly fail of being favoured with the direction of the Holy Ghost.

The consolation of the Holy Ghost is very delicate and the least thing impedes it. It is not given to those who seek human consolations. . . . With good reason does the Holy Ghost greatly desire to be desired. . . . You must realize in your heart that if you are disconsolate and if you call upon the Holy Ghost and He does not come, then it is because as yet you do not have the proper kind of desire for the reception of such a guest. It is not that he is unwilling to come; rather He wishes you to persevere in that desire and by persevering to make yourself deserving of Him, to open wide your heart and to make it grow in confidence. I assure you that no one who thus calls upon Him will be sent away empty of His consolation. . . . Your thoughts, words, and works will call upon the Holy Ghost and He will come upon you without your knowing how, and you will find that He has taken up His abode in your heart. You will discover in your soul a great joy, a pleasure so wonderful and so complete that you will be taken out of yourself. You will hear the whisper of the Holy Ghost in your "ear", and He will show you all that you must do. . . The Holy Ghost is given through the merits of Jesus Christ. Do not cease to ask for Him; do not cease to desire Him with a great desire and be assured that He will come to your soul. He will bring you such consolation as no one will be able to take from you.

Mystical Evolution pages 252-254
SOURCE: www.ourladysresistance.org/
</p>

G

gail

[COLOR=##e63219]His Holiness, Pope Leo XIII on Devotion to the Holy Ghost[/COLOR]

[COLOR=##d1b004][COLOR=##161305]Invoke the Holy Spirit[/COLOR][/COLOR]

We ought to pray to and invoke the Holy Spirit, for each one of us greatly needs His protection and His help. The more a man is deficient in wisdom, weak in strength, borne down with trouble, prone to sin, so ought he the more to fly to Him who is the never-ceasing fount of light, strength, consolation, and holiness.

The Forgiveness of Sins

And chiefly that first requisite of man, the forgiveness of sins, must be sought for from Him: "It is the special character of the Holy Ghost that He is the Gift of the Father and the Son. Now the remission of all sins is given by the Holy Ghost as by the Gift of God" (Summ. Th. 3a, q. iii., a. 8, ad 3m). Concerning this Spirit the words of the Liturgy are very explicit: "For He is the remission of all sins" (Roman Missal, Tuesday after Pentecost).

Sweet Guest of the Soul

How He should be invoked is clearly taught by the Church, who addresses Him in humble supplication, calling upon Him by the sweetest of names: "Come, Father of the poor! Come, Giver of gifts! Come, Light of our hearts! O, best of Consolers, sweet Guest of the soul, our refreshment!" (Veni Sancte Spiritus). She earnestly implores Him to wash, heal, water our minds and hearts, and to give to us who trust in Him "the merit of virtue, the acquirement of salvation, and joy everlasting." Nor can it be in any way doubted that He will listen to such prayer, since we read the words written by His own inspiration: "The Spirit Himself asketh for us with unspeakable groanings" (Rom 8., 26).

The Pledge of Our Inheritance

Lastly, we ought confidently and continually to beg of Him to illuminate us daily more and more with His light and inflame us with His charity: for, thus inspired with faith and love, we may press onward earnestly towards our eternal reward, since He "is the pledge of our inheritance" (Eph 1, 14). . . .

With the Blessed Virgin Mary

Unite, then, Venerable Brethren, your prayers with Ours, and at your exhortation let all Christian peoples add their prayers also, invoking the powerful and ever-acceptable intercession of the Blessed Virgin. You know well the intimate and wonderful relations existing between her and the Holy Ghost, so that she is justly called His Spouse. The intercession of the Blessed Virgin was of great avail both in the mystery of the Incarnation and in the coming of the Holy Ghost upon the Apostles. May she continue to strengthen our prayers with her suffrages, that, in the midst of all the stress and trouble of the nations, those divine prodigies may be happily revived by the Holy Ghost, which were foretold in the words of David: "Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created, and Thou shalt renew the face of the earth" (Ps. ciii., 30).

<em>Pope Leo XIII
Encyclical, Divinum Illud Munus
9 May 1897
</em>

M

mariaangelagrow

Re: topmost post: is the picture in the public domain? If so, where might I obtain it? Thank you all for your beautiful posts. I am so convicted of negligence. When I was in Camden Cty Jail for pro-life rescue, we used to say the prayers to The Holy Spirit nearly every day. Since then, I have only done so sporadically. I am grieved that I have been so heedless. Thank you for your lovely reminder.