Authority Limping

Admin

Administrator
Number CDXX (420)
August 1, 2015

Authority Limping

The Shepherd is struck, the sheep are all dispersed.
Authority is upside down, reversed.

Good souls regularly wish me to “step up to the plate” and assume a position of authority at the head of today’s “Resistance” movement. Let me propose, without imposing, the reasons for my serious reluctance to attempt any such thing.

Authority in the Church is “shot,” from the top downwards. The present Pope (I am no sedevacantist) is out of his Catholic mind, if ever he had one. But even if his election as Pope was invalid for one reason or another, it was convalidated by his virtually universal acceptance as Pope throughout the worldwide Church. In any case nobody else is Pope, or can be, and therefore he has the supreme authority in the Church. Now the Church was so designed by Our Lord as to be a monarchy, with all authority descending in it through the Pope from God. For by definition authority can only come from above. As Jefferson says in the United States’ Declaration of Independence, authority given from below can always be taken back from below. Authority from below is in fact a contradiction in terms. It is no real authority at all.

Therefore unless this Pope were to give me authority to lead the “Resistance,” which is obviously inconceivable, I will never have official Catholic authority to head up the resistants. Can I have supplied authority due to the emergency? In theory, yes, but supplied authority is relatively weak. It is supplied from above (by the Church) when for instance a penitent asks a priest in unusual circumstances to hear his confession, i.e. when normally the priest would have no jurisdiction to do so. So supplied authority descends from the Church above, but it is triggered only by the demand from below. No demand, no supplied authority.

Take Archbishop Lefebvre’s own case. Firstly, it was very important to him that the Statutes of the original SSPX were officially approved by the diocesan bishop of Geneva, Lausanne and Fribourg . Secondly, for instance, if a priest of the SSPX wanted to quit the SSPX, to right or to left, the Archbishop had no power to stop him or to punish him except by having nothing more to do with him. And if that priest departed towards the Novus Ordo Church, he was often greeted, as one can imagine, with open arms. The SSPX under Bishop Fellay has more and more wanted to be normal and has pretended it is normal, but actually it is a weak structure insofar as it has never had any jurisdiction more than supplied (this is one reason why Bishop Fellay so wants to be re-integrated into the mainstream Church).

Now that was the Archbishop! And I am no Archbishop Lefebvre. Therefore a certain number of good souls can turn to me for guidance, as they do, but it is not in me to claim even a supplied jurisdiction, because of the enormous confusion reigning in the Church. At present I am more and more disinclined to impose even a true viewpoint on anybody, because souls are now so con fused that the least imposition is liable to increase rather than decrease that confusion. “I WILL STRIKE THE SHEPHERD AND THE SHEEP WILL BE SCATTERED” (Zachary XIII, 7), quoted by Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Mt. XXVI, 31), and that is how it is going to be in the Church, more and more, until God in his mercy restores the Shepherd, which he will do only when mankind will appreciate a true Shepherd of God. Until then God’s gift of such a Shepherd would risk doing more harm than good. So in the meantime we must all take our just punishment: the universal confusion!

That is why I will give to anybody who asks me my reasons for acting as I do, but I will propose those reasons rather than impose them, and I will not usually object to people disagreeing with me.

Kyrie eleison.

D

Deleted member 149

Admin said:
Number CDXX (420)
August 1, 2015

Authority Limping

Good souls regularly wish me to “step up to the plate” and assume a position of authority at the head of today’s “Resistance” movement. [The good news is that all throughout these 3-years, BW is still being reminded of his Episcopacy and the torch that he received from -the great defender of the Church- Archbishop Lefebvre.] Let me propose, without imposing, the reasons for my serious reluctance to attempt any such thing. [And the bad news is that all throughout<font color="e61948"> these 3-years, and </font>many Eleison Comments speaking of this subject, BW is still <font color="e61948">negligent to carry that torch<font color="e61948"> for the fight and survival of the Church.</font></font>

Authority in the Church is “shot,” from the top downwards. The present Pope (I am no sedevacantist) is out of his Catholic mind, if ever he had one. But even if his election as Pope was invalid for one reason or another, it was convalidated by his virtually universal acceptance as Pope throughout the worldwide Church. In any case nobody else is Pope, or can be, and therefore he has the supreme authority in the Church. Now the Church was so designed by Our Lord as to be a monarchy, with all authority descending in it through the Pope from God. For by definition authority can only come from above. As Jefferson says in the United States’ Declaration of Independence, authority given from below can always be taken back from below. Authority from below is in fact a contradiction in terms. It is no real authority at all.

Therefore unless this Pope were to give me authority to lead the “Resistance,” which is obviously inconceivable, I will never have official Catholic authority to head up the resistants. [Archbishop Lefebvre did NOT have official Catholic authority from the conciliar church either since the illegal suppression of 1976; that did not stop him; which made him a great warrior and esteemed in the world. And under that same supplied authority effecting the 1988 consecrations, with BW being one of the four bishops to faithfully carry the torch of tradition, BW still has with him the emergency mandate of the Church to supply that leadership and authority to shepherd the flock without the conciliarists jurisdiction from modernist Rome.] Can I have supplied authority due to the emergency? [Yes!] In theory, yes, but supplied authority is relatively weak. [It is still authority as it is objective handed down from God to provide for us in cases like this.] It is supplied from above (by the Church) when for instance a penitent asks a priest in unusual circumstances to hear his confession, i.e. when normally the priest would have no jurisdiction to do so. So supplied authority descends from the Church above, but it is triggered only by the demand from below. No demand, no supplied authority. [A). This does NOT remove him from being a Bishop of the Church; and B). the "demand" is there constantly being asked of him throughout these 3-years to act on that supplied authority, so why isn't he acting when "demand" is knocking at his door? The faithful only ask what the Church commands us to do in time of need for the greater good and the salvation of souls. So this statement is a straw-man argument that BW is trying to build either from his laziness and or lack of faith.]<span></span>

Take Archbishop Lefebvre’s own case. Firstly, it was very important to him that the Statutes of the original SSPX were officially approved by the diocesan bishop of Geneva, Lausanne and Fribourg . [Yes, and as God had provided for this, which BW still says that he is a SSPX priest and Bishop of the said approved statues in an Open Letter to Bishop Fellay on Oct. 19, 2012 from his expulsion from the conciliar<font color="e61948">-<font color="e61948">sspx, BW writes, quote: "...In brief, your Excellency, you may now go ahead and exclude me, because the arguments above are not likely to persuade you, but the exclusion will be more apparent than real. I have been a member of the Archbishop’s Society ever since my perpetual engagement. I have been one of its priests for 36 years. I have been one of its bishops, like yourself, for nearly a quarter of a century. That is not all to be wiped out with one stroke of a pen. Member of the Archbishop’s Society I therefore remain, and I wait." Therefore, </font>BW needs to remain faithful to these same statues and continue as he is with the other expelled sspx priests under him for training, guidance, and leadership. This does NOT mean that BW starts something different, as he likes to distract the issue from, but that he needs to remain in the sanctification of those statues and legacy of Archbishop Lefebvre that God had blessed.]</font> Secondly, for instance, if a priest of the SSPX wanted to quit the SSPX, to right or to left, the Archbishop had no power to stop him or to punish him except by having nothing more to do with him. And if that priest departed towards the Novus Ordo Church, he was often greeted, as one can imagine, with open arms. The SSPX under Bishop Fellay has more and more wanted to be normal and has pretended it is normal, but actually it is a weak structure insofar as it has never had any jurisdiction more than supplied (this is one reason why Bishop Fellay so wants to be re-integrated into the mainstream Church). [These accidentals are irrelevant to the combat that is in front of us and need to continue on to survive.]

Now that was the Archbishop! [Yes and God had provided for the Statues and the framework for all of us to continue.] And I am no Archbishop Lefebvre. [Of course not. So follow what he had decreed in giving you your episcopacy and continue the course; very simple.] Therefore a certain number of good souls can turn to me for guidance, as they do, but it is not in me to claim even a supplied jurisdiction, because of the enormous confusion reigning in the Church. [False! As shown above, since 1976, Archbishop Lefebvre operated <font color="e61948">the complete <font color="e61948">network of the Catholic Resistance under the </font>supplied authority from the Church due to the emergency. All the more in this time of confusion in the church that BW has to stand up as a Bishop in example of his founder to carry on in his duty to lead with Miter and Crosier (without jurisdiction).]</font> At present I am more and more disinclined to impose even a true viewpoint on anybody, because souls are now so con fused that the least imposition is liable to increase rather than decrease that confusion. [False! BW is a BISHOP of the Catholic Church. All truth comes form God and has the merit of salvation to preach in season and out of season. To do less is weak and tepid.] “I WILL STRIKE THE SHEPHERD AND THE SHEEP WILL BE SCATTERED” (Zachary XIII, 7), quoted by Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Mt. XXVI, 31), and that is how it is going to be in the Church, more and more, until God in his mercy restores the Shepherd, which he will do only when mankind will appreciate a true Shepherd of God. Until then God’s gift of such a Shepherd would risk doing more harm than good. So in the meantime we must all take our just punishment: the universal confusion! [What a lot of hot air! This is like a Jonas attitude. If that is the disposition to take in front of adversary, then all of the Catholic Saints and Martyrs were wrong for standing up against the storm. This attitude of BW is pithy and needs serious conversion to look up at the Cross of our Lord who gave His last breathe to preach the truth to anyone who would listen. Please...]

That is why I will give to anybody who asks me my reasons for acting as I do, but I will propose those reasons rather than impose them, and I will not usually object to people disagreeing with me. [This whole thought of BW is weak and erroneous coming from a man-centered view point. If Archbishop Lefebvre had this attitude, BW would not be a Bishop today...and the glories of the Church's tradition would not be able to triumph as She is; regardless of the small numbers of faithful souls. Numbers do not mean anything to God. If anything, Sacred Scripture shows that the good God always lessens the numbers to show a greater glory for His Church. God always wins...]

Kyrie eleison.

[Quite sad for BW who<font color="e61948"> <font color="e61948">is walking away from the honor of his duties to fight in the footsteps of Archbishop Lefebvre. His above title becomes ironic: "Authority Limping".

I</font>t looks like the baton is in the hands of Bishop Faure. So what will he do for the survival of Catholic Tradition? We all wait...]</font>
My comments are in red above.

Admin

Administrator
Machabees said:
Admin said:
Number CDXX (420)
August 1, 2015

Authority Limping

Good souls regularly wish me to “step up to the plate” and assume a position of authority at the head of today’s “Resistance” movement. [The good news is that all throughout these 3-years, BW is still being reminded of his Episcopacy and the torch that he received from -the great defender of the Church- Archbishop Lefebvre.] Let me propose, without imposing, the reasons for my serious reluctance to attempt any such thing. [And the bad news is that all throughout<font color="e61948"> these 3-years, and </font>many Eleison Comments speaking of this subject, BW is still <font color="e61948">negligent to carry that torch<font color="e61948"> for the fight and survival of the Church.</font></font>

Therefore unless this Pope were to give me authority to lead the “Resistance,” which is obviously inconceivable, I will never have official Catholic authority to head up the resistants. [Archbishop Lefebvre did NOT have official Catholic authority from the conciliar church either since the illegal suppression of 1976; that did not stop him; which made him a great warrior and esteemed in the world. And under that same supplied authority effecting the 1988 consecrations, with BW being one of the four bishops to faithfully carry the torch of tradition, BW still has with him the emergency mandate of the Church to supply that leadership and authority to shepherd the flock without the conciliarists jurisdiction from modernist Rome.] Can I have supplied authority due to the emergency? [Yes!] In theory, yes, but supplied authority is relatively weak. [It is still authority as it is objective handed down from God to provide for us in cases like this.] It is supplied from above (by the Church) when for instance a penitent asks a priest in unusual circumstances to hear his confession, i.e. when normally the priest would have no jurisdiction to do so. So supplied authority descends from the Church above, but it is triggered only by the demand from below. No demand, no supplied authority. [Authority does NOT come from below; the authority is of divine origin to effect the graces of salvation. The faithful CANNOT and are incapable to give authority. The faithful only ask what the Church commands us to do in time of need for the greater goo and the salvation of souls. So this statement is a straw-man argument that BW is trying to build in his laziness and or lack of faith.]<span></span>

Take Archbishop Lefebvre’s own case. Firstly, it was very important to him that the Statutes of the original SSPX were officially approved by the diocesan bishop of Geneva, Lausanne and Fribourg . [Yes, and as God had provided for this, which BW still says that he is a SSPX priest and Bishop of the said approved statues, BW needs to remain faithful to these same statues and continue as he is with the priests under him for guidance and leadership. This does NOT mean that BW starts something different, as he likes to distract the issue from, but that he needs to remain in the sanctification of those statues and legacy of Archbishop Lefebvre that God had blessed.] Secondly, for instance, if a priest of the SSPX wanted to quit the SSPX, to right or to left, the Archbishop had no power to stop him or to punish him except by having nothing more to do with him. And if that priest departed towards the Novus Ordo Church, he was often greeted, as one can imagine, with open arms. The SSPX under Bishop Fellay has more and more wanted to be normal and has pretended it is normal, but actually it is a weak structure insofar as it has never had any jurisdiction more than supplied (this is one reason why Bishop Fellay so wants to be re-integrated into the mainstream Church). [These accidentals are irrelevant to the combat that is in front of us and need to continue on to survive.]

Now that was the Archbishop! [Yes and God had provided for the Statues and the framework for all of us to continue.] And I am no Archbishop Lefebvre. [Of course not. So follow what he had decreed in giving you your episcopacy and continue the course; very simple.] Therefore a certain number of good souls can turn to me for guidance, as they do, but it is not in me to claim even a supplied jurisdiction, because of the enormous confusion reigning in the Church. [False! As shown above, since 1976, Archbishop Lefebvre operated <font color="e61948">the complete <font color="e61948">network of the Catholic Resistance under the </font>supplied authority from the Church due to the emergency. All the more in this time of confusion in the church that BW has to stand up as a Bishop in example of his founder to carry on in his duty to lead with Miter and Crosier (without jurisdiction).]</font> At present I am more and more disinclined to impose even a true viewpoint on anybody, because souls are now so con fused that the least imposition is liable to increase rather than decrease that confusion. [False! BW is a BISHOP of the Catholic Church. All truth comes form God and has the merit of salvation to preach in season and out of season. To do less is weak and tepid.] “I WILL STRIKE THE SHEPHERD AND THE SHEEP WILL BE SCATTERED” (Zachary XIII, 7), quoted by Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Mt. XXVI, 31), and that is how it is going to be in the Church, more and more, until God in his mercy restores the Shepherd, which he will do only when mankind will appreciate a true Shepherd of God. Until then God’s gift of such a Shepherd would risk doing more harm than good. So in the meantime we must all take our just punishment: the universal confusion! [What a lot of hot air! This is like a Jonas attitude. If that is the disposition to take in front of adversary, then all of the Catholic Saints and Martyrs were wrong for standing up against the storm. This attitude of BW is pithy and needs serious conversion to look up at the Cross of our Lord who gave His last breathe to preach the truth to anyone who would listen. Please...]

That is why I will give to anybody who asks me my reasons for acting as I do, but I will propose those reasons rather than impose them, and I will not usually object to people disagreeing with me. [This whole thought of BW is weak and erroneous coming from a man-centered view point. If Archbishop Lefebvre had this attitude, BW would not be a Bishop today...and the glories of the Church's tradition would not be able to triumph as She is; regardless of the small numbers of faithful souls. Numbers do not mean anything to God. If anything, Sacred Scripture shows that the good God always lessens the numbers to show a greater glory for His Church. God always wins...]

Kyrie eleison.

[So it looks like the baton is in the hands of Bishop Faure. What will he do for the survival of Catholic Tradition?]
My comments are in red above.
What has puzzled me is that Bishop Williamson seems to be teaching as a Bishop with authority because he continues to hold up the Shepherd's staff. Layfolk believe he is teaching with the authority as a Bishop. How else can we think? He exercises his authority as a Bishop when he consecrates a priory for priests leaving the neo-SSPX - priests who might just continue doing what the neo-SSPX is doing anyway....that is giving retreats and sermons and providing the Sacraments (?) There are plenty of Catholics who are, and will always be satisfied with that. There are individual priests all over the world doing their own thing...take your pick. In the meantime who is left to fight for the Church itself?

Bishop Williamson exercises his authority when he ordains priests, and he exercised his authority when he consecrated Bishop Faure. We are simple-minded folk who are being thrown back on our own resources time and time again so that one way or another we have to fend for ourselves. It seems that he does have the authority needed for our time, but is using it for selective purposes. Is that it? I do not think Bishop Faure will pick up the baton Machabees. I think he will continue doing what Bishop Williamson is doing. Only time will tell of course. While we prayerfully and trustfully await the outcome of it all God does not leave us orphans. Doors open in the hearts of faithful Catholics who choose to keep the faith rather than be deceived into supporting any priest who is not openly fighting for the very Church Herself. Our Lord has always wanted our HEARTS to become tabernacles...flesh and blood hearts. Read these final words in the Act of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary :

Finally, I promise Thee O glorious Mother of God, and loving Mother of men, to devote myself whole-heartedly to the service of Thy blessed cult in order to hasten and assure through the sovereignty of Thine Immaculate Heart the coming of the kingdom of The Sacred Heart of Thine adorable Son in my own heart, and in those of all men in my country and in the whole world. Amen

Consecration to Mary

O Mary, Virgin most powerful and Mother of mercy, Queen of Heaven and Refuge of sinners, we consecrate ourselves to thine Immaculate Heart.
We consecrate to thee our very being and our whole life; all that we have, all that we love, all that we are. To thee we give our bodies, our hearts and our souls; to thee we give our homes, our families, our country.
We desire that all that is in us and around us may belong to thee, and may share in the benefits of thy motherly benediction. And that this act of consecration may be truly efficacious and lasting, we renew this day at thy feet the promises of our Baptism and our first Holy Communion.
We pledge ourselves to profess courageously and at all times the truths of our holy Faith, and to live as befits Catholics who are duly submissive to all the directions of the Pope and the Bishops in communion with him.
We pledge ourselves to keep the commandments of God and His Church, in particular to keep holy the Lord's Day.
We likewise pledge ourselves to make the consoling practices of the Christian religion, and above all, Holy Communion, an integral part of our lives, in so far as we shall be able so to do.
Finally, we promise thee, O glorious Mother of God and loving Mother of men, to devote ourselves whole-heartedly to the service of thy blessed cult, in order to hasten and assure, through the sovereignty of thine Immaculate Heart, the coming of the kingdom of the Sacred Heart of thine adorable Son, in our own hearts and in those of all men, in our country and in all the world, as in heaven. so on earth. Amen.

Admin

Administrator
In the light of the confusion that is being caused by Bishop Williamson's letters and confession that he cannot lead (or words to that effect)...would it not be better if he ceased writing/publishing them? He has made his choice to lead those who leave the neoSSPX when he established a priory with Father Zendejas...priests who have not clarified where they stand in relation to resisting the errors of Rome&gt;neoSSPX.

I hope Frs. Pfeiffer,Chazal, Hewko, Ortiz, Picot et al are not going to be left orphaned. //images.proboards.com/v5/smiley/cry.png

gail 2

Honestly Kath,

I find this type of criticism absolutely a scandal! The wise letters of His Lordship Bishop Williamson bring great consolation to many who read them. If you have a problem - don't read them. This is so divisive!

How could these priests be left 'orphaned' - is God going to leave them? Of course not! The laity who have left the SSPX and who have no church to attend at all have difficulties too, but one has to be brave, and trust in the Providence of God, Who will never leave His children!

Admin

Administrator
Gail said:
Honestly Kath,

I find this type of criticism absolutely a scandal! The wise letters of His Lordship Bishop Williamson bring great consolation to many who read them. If you have a problem - don't read them. This is so divisive!

How could these priests be left 'orphaned' - is God going to leave them? Of course not! The laity who have left the SSPX and who have no church to attend at all have difficulties too, but one has to be brave, and trust in the Providence of God, Who will never leave His children!
Well Gail, you have your opinion just as I, or others do. I am glad you spoke up even though you feel as you do. If there are good people that are helped by them, there are also many good people who are confused by them. I maintain the hope that said priests are not orphaned. And who said anything about God leaving his children?

Last edited:
N

nobody

Honestly Kath,

Dear Gail,

Your answer makes no sense. Would you say to a fellow Catholic : if you have a problem with the Catechism, don't read it. If you don't like Church teaching, look the other way. That sounds like subjectivism !

It is the duty of a Catholic bishop to teach the Catholic Faith, nothing more and nothing less. And to be clear about it : yes yes, no no. Bishop Williamson has a proven track record of NOT sticking to Church teaching. For a long time he has mixed personal 'opinions' and 'viewpoints' into his teaching, to the point where he has lost all credibility and where he is doing more damage than good. And if you mix error with truth, the only safe thing to do with it is to throw the whole lot out. I don't like it either, but closing my eyes will not make the problem go away. And we are not talking here about small errors which can be overlooked.

If we are allowed to criticize Bishop Fellay for his public errors and the damage they are causing (for good reasons), then we must be honest and brave enough to criticize Bishop Williamson for his public errors and the damage they are causing too. Pray for both, but don't act like an ostrich. The last thing we want is to swap one idol (+Fellay) for another (+Williamson).

Last edited by a moderator:

gail 2

Nobody, the reality is that Bishop Williamson has NOT betrayed us, HE IS FAITHFUL AND TRUE, whereas Bishop Fellay has betrayed us. Bishop Williamson deserves our loyalty and spiritual support, not this constant ongoing attacks on him.

Kath, Regards the priests being orphaned - why don't you leave all to God...He is charge after all!

N

nobody

Nobody, the reality is that Bishop Williamson has NOT betrayed us, HE IS FAITHFUL AND TRUE, whereas Bishop Fellay has betrayed us. Bishop Williamson deserves our loyalty and spiritual support, not this constant ongoing attacks on him.
No, I don't think 'betrayed' is the right word, and there is still a big difference between bishop Williamson and bishop Fellay. But, unless we have evidence to the contrary, we must also assume that bishop Fellay is meaning well. In other words, we don't judge the interior motives or the culpability, but we must judge their actions.

On my first retreat with the SSPX, the priest used to ask us : which is more dangerous, a nice looking and sweet smelling glass of fruit juice with a tiny invisible drop of arsenic, or a glass of dirty looking and foul smelling sewerage ? Which one are you more likely to be poisoned by ? The moral is, if Bishop Williamson is teaching error, no matter how well his intentions or how gentle and sweat his manner, the error is just as erroneous and even more likely to do harm than if for example Cardinal Ratzinger with his shifty eyes were to try and sell us the same error. And again, we are not talking about little things, but about major issues (like sedevacantism and novus disorder, ..).

To be honest, I am very disappointed in Bishop Williamson, since he is (or was) the only hope of many Traditional Catholics, and he is just polishing the deckchairs on the Titanic. So much work to be done, and where do we see him spending his time and energy ? 'You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted ? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men' (Matthew 5:13)

I would almost call Bishop Williamson's odd priorities and lack of 'imposition' a betrayal, albeit of a different kind than the betrayal of Bishop Fellay. In any case, I have found greater strength and encouragement in Fr Chazal and Fr Pfeiffer. I happily listen to their sermons every week, but I don't listen to Bishop Williamson any more. That says enough !

Kath, Regards the priests being orphaned - why don't you leave all to God...He is charge after all!

Sorry to disagree here as well. I have often been in need of help myself, but most of the time this is the response I got from fellow Catholics : 'Don't worry, God will look after you !'. Then they turn their back and walk away, without lifting a finger themselves to try and help. This so called 'trust in God' has become an excuse for people's own inaction. As the saying goes, God helps those who help themselves. First we must do what we can ourselves, and only after that should we call upon God to do the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Admin

Administrator
Nobody, the reality is that Bishop Williamson has NOT betrayed us, HE IS FAITHFUL AND TRUE, whereas Bishop Fellay has betrayed us. Bishop Williamson deserves our loyalty and spiritual support, not this constant ongoing attacks on him. Kath, Regards the priests being orphaned - why don't you leave all to God...He is charge after all!
Gail dear, we are friends. If you judge me as not leaving it all up to God then so be it. There is great need to be objective but little encouragement for being so. Each one of us, including Bishop Williamson, has to do the best we can and pray for the grace to do more than we think we can...then leaving it up to God - when we cannot do any more.

“Holy abandonment is found ‘not in resignation and laziness but at the heart of action and initiative.’ It would be dishonest to pray for victory without really fighting for it. [...] ‘The things I pray for’, St. Thomas More prayed magnanimously, ‘dear Lord, give me the grace to work for.’” (“The Biography of Marcel Lefebvre” p. 568)
I am not trying to get the better of you here Gail because I know you to be one of the hardest workers in God's vineyard-in-Carmel. You have never stopped giving and serving Him. I wish I could say the same thing about myself. To judge that I/we are accusing Bishop Williamson of betrayal is an extraordinary thing for you to say or think. If you care to look back on all the Letters posted on Cor Mariae by Bishop Williamson you will see that I have never had but the highest esteem for him - and still do. However, he is human and humble enough to being informed of what layfolk are doing/saying/thinking. It is up to the good Bishop to decide whether to continue or discontinue his Letters and it is up to me to follow my own advice. This prominence of Bishop Williamson's Letters will be removed. Of course his Letters will always be here to be read, but no longer given a featured position due to the confusion.

Last edited:
A

ajnc

Perhaps the good bishop was just plain tired. Jet lag and fatigue also affect clergy.

Admin

Administrator
Perhaps the good bishop was just plain tired. Jet lag and fatigue also affect clergy.
Yes, he must be very tired. It will help when he has decided who amongst the younger priests will become Bishops. He has indicated this in the recent past when he consecrated Bishop Faure.

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Referring to himself - St. Augustine made the distinction between the duties of him being a Catholic like the rest of us and him as a Shepherd of the flock. His duties were twofold. As an individual Catholic he is no different to the rest of us; as Shepherd he was responsible before God for the souls of those he shepherded. (Perhaps someone can provide us with the exact words of St. Augustine?)

As an individual Catholic I accuse myself of frequently failing in my duties because I am too tired to care. I have to answer to God for that. It is in this latter respect that one has enormous sympathy/compassion for His Excellency, Bishop Williamson. He must be exhausted/worn out with the battles he has courageously fought, and the malice of countless calumnies/humilitiations he has endured for the love of God and his flock. His teaching as Shepherd exercising the authority of his state-in-life has cleared the debris out of all the deceptions to which I/we have been constantly assailed...without his example and teaching I would have lost my faith and my soul. However, something has changed these last few years causing the confusion spoken of in regard to his penultimate Kyrie Eleison Letter and in many earlier ones where readers have been presented with differing options that contradict one another.

Bishop Williamson has not retired therefore whatever he says, writes or preaches is done as Shepherd; as teacher; instructing us, according to his state-in-life as Bishop -in the name of the Church. The dear man cannot have it both ways - that is, simply advising as a father yet preaching from the housetops. There is paramount effect if he advises as a father when in retirement advising, counselling individuals or groups that seek his spiritual direction. All his energies would be gainfully employed. It is impossible, however, to act as spiritual adviser to the whole world collectively when the world is comprised of millions of individual souls. A shepherd leads - the sheep follow.

As unretired Shepherd Bishop Williamson's words and actions are taken as gospel by simple pewsitters whom, at the same time, he claims to be advising with his personal opinions/viewpoints(?) It is vitally important to heed the words of priests who speak plainly to us. Listen to this excellent sermon and all the others that are preached by the priests listed under the Resistant Movement.

Link