A Safeguard and a Healing Remedy

S

stabl

The words, 'a safeguard and a healing remedy' struck me as I read the liturgy of the Mass where the whole prayer is:
Let not the partaking of Thy Body, O Lord Jesus Christ, which I, though unworthy, presume to receive, turn to my judgment and condemnation: but through Thy goodness may it be unto me a safeguard and a healing remedy both of soul and body; who livest and reignest with God the Father in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. Amen

Taking the Body and Body of Our Lord into myself make two things happen at the same time - in the same movement, so to speak. I am safeguarded whilst my sinful body is being fed and healed - and it is the Living Lord, capable only of giving life where death itself is eaten up and destroyed. That means that the Living Body of God is entering my body where disease and corruption are driven out. Whilst this process is happening I am safeguarded, preventing fresh sin and corruption from entering. And as a blood transfusion enters a vein gradually pushing out antibodies and suchlike so too reception of the Living God's Precious Blood delivers my soul from death.

How else do I get rid of my state of sin? Individual sins are one thing, but my hidden state of sin is quite another! I need a complete makeover!

And this gift was waiting for me before I was born. I was introduced to the knowledge and richness of this legacy that I had inherited - that was bequeathed to me - by an unknown benefactor that had given his life as the price for establishing it. His death in exchange for my life.